The Mabini Academy of Lipa City, Batangas, Philippines, was founded as a non-stock, non-profit corporation on June 10, 1922 by Professor Randall A. Rowley, Dean Francisco Benitez, Mrs. Paz M. Benitez, Dr. Jose M. Katigbak, Mrs. Tarcila M. Katigbak, and Miss Emilia Malabanan. This school, which opened on June 12, 1922, started with an enrolment of more than one hundred students, two first year classes and one second year class. In June, 1923, a third year class was added, and in June, 1924, the complete high school course was given. On March 25, 1925, it received government recognition. It continued functioning as a secondary school, giving the complete general course (day) until December 9, 1941, when all schools closed because of the Second World War. It remained closed during the Japanese occupation. It reopened in June, 1945 and has been functioning since then.
Prior to the establishment of this school, Lipa students went to Batangas or to Manila for their secondary education. This of course, proved very expensive for the parents. Its establishment, therefore, was a great financial help to them. For many years, it was the only secondary school in Lipa City and the neighboring towns, thus satisfying a great need of the community.
Former Mayor of Lipa City, Atty. Carlos Solis is also an alumus. So are former Vice-mayors Cesar Kison and Felino Magaling, former City Superintendent of Public Schools Isidoro Laygo, former Municipal Judge Calixto Luna, former Treasurer Felix Magpantay, former Assistant Treasurer Jose Estrella, former City Engineer Isidro Reyes, former Batangas Provincial Board Member Jacinto Castillo, former Mayor Baldomero Reyes, educators Ramon L. Recio and Mother Agnes of the Good Shepherd Sisters (nee Luz Katigbak), newspapermen Arturo Dimayuga, Aristedes Africa, and Amado Macasaet, engineers Isabelo Tapia, Miguel Paala, Maximo Abaca, and Alfredo Roxas, businessmen Rodolfo Silva, Benedicto Katigbak, Jose Lirag, and Alfredo Lipat, hospital owners and administrators Drs. Pedro Lasig, Amado Luz, Cesar Reyes, and Nemesio Villa, Jr. These are but a few of the successful alumni of the school. Many others occupy positions of great influence in the community such as priests, nuns, school supervisors and principals, all attesting to the fact that the school has done its share in preparing them well for community service.